Friday, May 9, 2008

love

After 6 years of not talking to a friend...we heard from one another today. It's nice to hear an old friends ways. Some of my most memorable moments of my entire life were with him. Like rapping "IT TAKES TWO" in the mirror and using paper plates from a downtown Boston pizza place as "TURNTABLES" and walking for miles and miles downtown Boston on Fourth of July without a cab in the rain to Harvard. He was my best friend. It's good to say goodbye even when you don't want too sometimes because in the end...you realize, that it's all ok...and you are where you are meant to be. I shared one of my most precious stories today with my roomate Justin. It's good to re-live times that were hard, it's good because you then realize that you have grown and you're ready to let others in. It's good to grow and realize you have. It's good to remember the past but it's even better to be at peace with every single detail. You know you have grown when you share with someone you are involved with, the past, your stories, your history and you have no qualms about any of it...you just want to share. I haven't wanted to share with someone for a long time. I saw "The Break Up" this weekend..."how did we get here"...everyone who has been in a relationship has asked that question once or twice. I never want to ask that question again. I remember looking in his eyes 5 years ago and my life was packed in the car and we said goodbye...he said to me "love is not enough"...and after 8 years I then realized what I should've known 3 years into it...that Love is not enough, how did we get here? It's about all the things in the middle that matter. It's about understanding the same things. It's about believing the same idea. It's about knowing when to be quiet and when to give in. It's about trusting another. It's about inspiring one another for greater. It's about be productive together and apart. It's about understanding your world views and your passion for whatever it is you do. It's about doing the right thing or the wrong thing. I like to say to the kids I coach, that it's all about "this"...as I rub my thumb and fingers together like I am asking for cash...it's not cash I am asking for...it's about "this" meaning alllllll the layers and layers of one another that is important. Look for people who have "this" layers and layers about them...it will make you more colorful and bright...and you might learn something from them. My dad tells me today about a new invention breast cancer protocol he is working on...after our conversation I said, well you better go ,you have a lot to do...and he said "365/24-7 without a ferrari"...it is a joke with my family, that my father always said to us, "if I didn't have you kids, I would have ten Ferraris by now." So when my older brother and I are asked where are the kids? Shouldn't you have kids by now? We answer...we are waiting for the Ferrari. lol. My father is kidding of course, because he would rather build me a new theater and name it after me, then buy a Ferrari for himself. My father picks up my grandfather everyday who just turned 93 last weekend, my mothers father, and brings him home to my parents home and gives him a shower and then combs his hair ever so cooly to the right. I think about that, and think...he is the most amazing man...that. is why. he is. my hero. I know I have mentioned TOAD POPPIN about burying the toad....in other blogs...let me retort...when my brother and I were younger, the commercial "My Buddy, My Buddy, My Buddy and Meeee" used to play all the time...we thought we were real cute making up a song called Toad Poppin with the same rythm while we would drive down the road from our home. Mind you, the street would be packed with Toads EVERYWHERE...so it's almost without effort that you would run one over. My father got so pissed off at us and told us to get out of the car with him and pick up every single one out of the road and the ones that had been killed we were to bury. He told us how precious life was, all life and that, that, was unacceptable to think it was funny. Ask me if I ever sang that song again. again. my hero. We must understand something, when we send our children off to school...they go to learn yes, but when they come home, we as parents must teach. Many parents think they "learn" in school...but it continues and starts in the home. When I have children, if I have children...I want their room to be filled with pictures of the eco system, our founding fathers, every president, every part of history and interesting fact that will help round them to be better human beings. I laugh to myself while writing this blog, because why I am writing this? Who is going to read this crap? lol...but I had so much going on in my head today, it was one of those non stop, always going, exhausting days...not that I was busy...but my mind sure was...It's 1:00am and all is well...06 06 06...people years ago thought it would be the end of the world...and look at us. We are still turning and moving and shaking...there is so much to do out there...when I went to college my dad put a note in my suitcase that said in black pen...JUST DO IT...I kept that peice of paper and put it on my dorm wall...it's ok to make a difference and have a voice behind it...look around you...it's not about you...it's about everyone else.

No comments: